Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Cooking For My Babies

Okay, so I did some other things yesterday. But, my favorite was making dinner for everyone & them loving it. I like to cook anyway & to have the whole family really like it is so satisfying. It was even something I didn't know if the kids would like. I made Italian beef & spinach pie, with a mix of spinach, ricotta, & mozzarella in the bottom of the pie shell, a mix of Italian sausage, lean burger, garlic, red bell pepper, and tomato paste (with Italian seasoning) on top of that, and a topping of mozzarella & tomato slices. I had everything ready, before I left for my meeting, for J just to pop it in the oven & bake it. When I called to say I was headed home, J said Boot had a big piece & Pie had two. They were bathing when I got home...well, Boot had just gotten out of the shower & Pie was in the tub writing his name on the wall with a soap crayon. They had cleaned the litter boxes, helped J clean the ashes out of the woodstove, and carried in a bunch of wood from the pile. We are lucky to have little boys who are mostly helpful, even if Boot is Angst Boy fairly frequently these days.

I also had fun yesterday making a trip to K-Mart for storage bins & envelopes. I took Pie with me & picked up a Neopets "writer's set" for him, with pencils, erasers, a ruler & things like that in it. He hadn't spotted it, so it was fun to surprise him with it once we got back to the car. He has just been so agreeable & helpful lately that I wanted to get him a small thank you gift. I also have coupons for them that I am going to start slipping to them for things like a build-your-own-sundae or an extra hour past bedtime. They'll like that. Another thing I got while out doing errands was the coolest stamps I have ever seen! I'm thrilled with them! They are children's book character stamps, with The Wild Thing, The Very Hungry Caterpillar, Wilbur, Maisy, Frederic, Fox in Socks and other characters on them! Wow, are they ever cool!!! I put them on the next round of book group invites, making sure that my mom had The Wild Thing. If I hadn't already given Laura hers, I would have put Olivia on it since she loves Olivia.

Yesterday was also the day that the cable networking guy came out to make it so that Pie can use our internet on his computer. Man, is he thrilled!!! The cable guy was really nice, a big, burly guy with a red beard & those coveralls that are Carhartt brown & have suspender-like straps instead of coming all the way up & having sleeves & a zipper. When he saw our Butter kitty, he said, "Here, kitty, kitty" in the sweetest, gentlest voice & he actually got that dignified kitten to play with him!

The church meeting I went to last night was of the Connections Ministry at the UCC. As we all talked about the congregation members we'd been talking to, sending cards to, etc, I got a real sense of caring & compassion. I am proud to be involved with a church that is full of such kind & loving people. Not that the PC (USA) church isn't, but it feels different. The meeting was fairly short & I was able to hit the road home & to dinner just after 8, after plugging the Presbyterian church's showing of Romero slated for Sunday. If you haven't seen that film, go rent it! Or buy it. Oscar Romero was a Salvadoran archbishop who stood up for the poor people & stood against the brutal violence that was going on in El Salvador in the 70s & 80s. He was assasinated for taking this stance, but he was living his life based on Christ's teachings, working for justice and for the downtrodden. He was a true hero. Raul Julia's portrayal of him in this film was stunning.

No comments: