Saturday, September 09, 2006

A Couple of Good Movies

We finally saw a movie my beloved has been wanting to see since before it came out & one I have felt the same way about. This was a couple of weeks ago, but I have been so busy getting ready for the big return to seminary that I haven't been posting like I would like to. I think this is the preposition-endin'-sentence-est post I've done. Anyway, we watched "V for Vendetta" one Friday night & had to keep looking at each other with a "Do you get it?" look. The reason is that, while the movie is cleverly disguised as a futuristic piece set in England, it came across as some very good social commentary about what's been going on in this country the past 5 or so years.

I watched Andy Garcia's "The Lost City" one afternoon and when J called me from work, I was sobbing so hard that she thought someone was dead. I said, "I hate Castro" and she thought that perhaps my father or uncle, who came over from Cuba in the early years of Castro's reign of terror, had been vacationing in Cuba for some reason & had been captured or killed. However, it was just that the reality of what it was like for Cubans who didn't support Castro's regime really hit me for the first time. Oh, I had always known intellectually that it was awful, but it had never hit me at the soul level. While I hated the things Castro had done to my family, putting them in prison, driving them out, I somehow never really got it completely. Now, I do.

No comments: